Thank you to all the parents who came through the whole school to learn the different types of Science being taught at HWPS. The Rocket Balloons were super quick in Foundation. The slime was messy but so cool to play with that was made in the Yr 1/2 rooms and Liquid Layers in Yr 3/4 created much scientific discussion. The magnet races were a hit with the Science specialist rooms too!
As we know families are busy and aren’t always able to come up to school at the time, we’d love to share the Yr 5/6 Space Station with you. The students have worked incredibly hard to research information and present it to our community in interesting ways.
Star Constellation Art work
The Yr 5/6 Planetarium was created beginning with the Sun and following the planets throughout the Solar System. Can you put these posters in order?
Thank you for all the supportive feedback we have had with the new Homework routine this term. The students are becoming more independent by bringing their diary to school each day and recording important calendar dates. We feel the students are more connected to their learning with this new method.
Just a reminder for this fortnight cycle of homework:
- Multi-Genre project: Most students have completed the home task of completing a published piece. Ask your child how they are managing the Multi-Genre Project.
- Make the final presentation item that will display the 5 or more writing pieces for our celebration in December. This is due 28th November
- Read each night and record the book title in the Homework Diary – due 9th November
- Complete the Mathletics activities as set by the teacher – this reinforces concepts currently being taught in class. (Statistics and Probability) Due 9th Nov. Melinda’s classroom is open before school 8:30am Tuesday and Friday if you would like to complete Mathletics
- Optional: Research for the Multi-Genre topic to assist the next writing piece.
- Book Talk – This is up to the individual child and the date they have selected. We are looking for originality and inspirational Book Talks. The purpose is generate excitement about reading the book or a series. This could be a short review completed on a video. Check out this site for ideas: Kids’ Book Review
- Gr 6 Graduation – practise song and speech
- Gr 5 Leadership – Draft for Buddy stories will be completed soon – please think about how you will illustrate the hand made books.
If your child is having difficulty managing their homework, please come and see us.
The Gr 6 Market stalls were all so amazing – here are more snaps from the day.
Frog in a Pond – delicious!!
Just Face it!
Face painting extraordinaire designers that all the kids loved.
The Frogloss was very popular and sold out first!
What scrummy flavours!
Rock Your Socks had incredible home made tie dyed socks to sell. So colourful!
These were the most scrumptious doughnuts from the busy crew at Donut Time!
Everyone wanted one (or two!)
Thank you to the whole of HWPS for supporting our Grade 6 students with their Market Stall. You made this event so amazing for us!
The Grade 6s have worked tirelessly to create their own market this year. Will and Charlotte have taught students many things – mostly; financial budgeting, marketing and cooperative group work skills in order to run this impressive market event.
Students from the whole school were invited to the morning to purchase items hand made by the Grade 6s. The weather was perfect, the market vibe was warm and friendly and purchases were through the roof!
Every stall was a sell out!
We are so impressed with our student’s high standards of their products and their marketing techniques!
Congratulations Grade 6s!
The best part was all the chances to play different sports with the equipment – thanks Team!
What delicious cakes! Those Chocolate Yum Yum Balls were the best!
Meet some of the crazy pet rocks! Complete with a personalised Birth Certificate.
Tracey found a new pet!
We have such a busy term planned for everyone. Get your School Diary ready…
Homework will look slightly different this term. To continue building student independence and connection to their school work, all homework tasks will be written directly into the Student Diary. There will not be a homework sheet provided each fortnight.
Homework tasks can be completed in the Homework book and handed in on the dates outlined in the student diary.
Reading Read every night & write the title of the text in your diary
Speaking and Listening Plan your own Book Talk timeline
Maths Mathletics: complete the set tasks from your teacher
If you can’t complete Mathletics at home, students can come into Melinda’s classroom every Tuesday and Friday morning from 8:40am to complete their tasks.
Writing Multi-Genre Project – follow the timeline in the student diary
Diary dates Follow the HWPS newsletter calendar each Friday and update school events in your diary
All homework books are due every 2nd Wednesday – even weeks. Diaries should be at school each day.