Our Spelling Program has been more exciting this year. We have a fortnightly cycle that we work from. Firstly, we choose 5 new words from our writing that we want to learn to spell. We might also choose words from our Just Right books or the Word Wall that we are interested in learning to spell too.
We focus on the spelling Strategies – Sound. Meaning. Visual. Connecting. Checking
Some of our Spelling activities where we practise SOUND and VISUAL strategies include:
- Practising the L-S-N-C-W-C (Look, Say, Name, Cover, Write, Check) technique.
- tapping out syllables – ask your child what the trick with syllables is (each syllable must have a ….)
- Writing the tricky part of our spelling words in different colours
- Rhyming words and spelling patterns
- identifying the base word (if applicable)
- Word building – adding prefix, suffix, past tense, plurals etc
Another way to learn more about our spelling words is to look them up in the dictionary. What is the synonym or antonym for a word?
Throughout all our investigations, we ask students to record generalisations about what they have discovered. The aim is to have the 5 words spelt correctly several times over the fortnightly spelling cycle.
We have been excited by the Channel 10’s Great Australian Spelling Bee program. You can try out their spelling words here! Our partner testing at the end of each cycle is not as suspense filled as this program!